Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankfulness

Thankfulness and thanksgiving is something that I have been trying to focus on the last few days instead of worrying about the unknowns and 'what-ifs'. I know that when I focus on what I am thankful for and have a positive attitude about things, I find so much more peace. It was a theme for us last Sunday at our house church and then I was discussing this with a good friend of mine(T.F.)She had just meditated on 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 yesterday morning and shared it with me:
"Always be joyful. Keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."
This isn't always easy to do, and I especially find it hard for me to do when I feel out of control. Right now though, I feel God's peace through this all, even though there are so many things that I am praying for right now. Now more than ever, I have been awoken in the middle of the night and felt the sense of urgency to pray. I have also truly felt a weight on my heart when I was praying- and got the sense that their were many hands laid on me, praying with me. I have felt our family so lifted up in prayer that it gives me peace.

I am trying to be joyful, I am praying for two signed passports to be found & delieverd, as well as an approved 1-600 from the embassy, and no matter what happens, I will be thankful, because there is so much to be thankful for. I have a husband who is my best friend and he loves me, I have three children at home with me that I get to tuck in at night, I have two children that even though I can't tuck them in yet, are alive and healthy and spending time with their father, I have a wonderful extended family in WA. & MN, I have so many dear, true, life-long friends, I have a loving church, I have a home, I have food, I have cute clothes(it's all relative), I belong to Jesus!

Below is a post that Daron sent to our church today. I think we were both on the same wavelength a couple continents away:

"Hello church,
Giving thanks in the midst of hard times.

When I first arrived in Ghana – I was overwhelmed. All I could see was the NEED (too many orphans, poverty, lack of clean water, smell of sewage/burning trash everywhere) and I felt powerless to be able to change anything.

I’m sure you heard that/felt that in last week’s email.

So I’ve been asking God for help in being thankful – even joyful – in my present reality.

I don’t want a “comparative thankfulness” (i.e. God, I’m thankful that I wasn’t born here/live here/that I’m not like…).

So I’ve tried to focus on the good I see here in Ghana each day and what I am thankful for…. And it is working!

Yesterday I was reading Psalm 116 – I recommend reading the whole thing – but verse 7 jumped out at me:
“Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.”


When we focus on what we are thankful for… When we are able to say the Lord has been good to me – a wonderful peace comes over our soul.

Maybe you’ve been feeling overwhelmed lately too – whether it be the stock market/economy or other hard times happening in your life.

So this Thanksgiving – whether it be the gift of your life,
giving thanks for God’s love for you,
for Jesus’ sacrifice for us,
for those who love us and whom we love,
or for the wonder of a new day
– may we Give thanks!
– and may your soul be at rest."

2 comments:

Ginny and Ben said...

Kristin...I feel your passport pain!! We just submitted an entirely new application yesterday with a different 'expediter' (I think they are making that up, b/c there is nothing 'expedited' about 4 months waiting for a passport!). I will add yourname to my 'praying for passports and I600s' list. There are a few of us in the same boat. Hang in there!

Jess said...

'be joyful for this is Gods will for you' - God wants us to be thankful, it's his will! I appreciate Darons comments about not having a comparitive thankfulness, often we do resort to that but even in our own trials there is much to be thankful for. Thanks for the post!
Jessica