Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Eggs & 2 Hot Dogs, Please!

Daron filed the paperwork at the embassy today and below I included part of an email he sent out today to the leaders of our church. People keep asking how he is liking the food and I think he is enjoying trying things, but also misses the comfort foods of home. I guess today after filing the 1-600, they went out to eat somewhere for pizza. I guess he had about 5 slices and ordered a chocolate shake. He said it was heaven. He told me he is mostly eating just breakfast and lunch because he is both trying to save on money and he is just not so hungry because it is so hot- I think he is going to come back a thin man. Of course, I am telling him to make sure he eats and blah, blah, blah, but I just sound like a nagging wife I think! :) It was kind of funny though because I guess where he goes for breakfast, they told him they could cook him whatever he wanted, so he said he would have eggs, sausage and coffee. They came back with eggs, two hot dogs, baked beans, and a type of instant hot chocolate with a coffee flavor. LOL! Not quite what he was thinking, but they sure tried!

Below is his note:
"Hello all,

On another note.… I filed the I-600 today! That is the document for Department of Homeland Security at the US Embassy. Here is the bad news – the woman I worked with was a national and was extremely rude and on a power trip. I told her of my situation so she would know my timing issues. At the end of our 3-4 minute interview she told me that if I don’t hear from them in 6 months – yes you just read 6 months – that I should call them back. Every other time it has been 10 days. So I would like you to pray for Adelayne – the woman who was supposed to be serving me as a citizen of the U.S. Pray for a change of heart on her part, a change of spirit for her – can’t be fun acting like that all day, and pray for the paperwork to go through quickly. (Don’t worry – I won’t stay 6 months :))

Tonight was great though – I went to a prayer service at the church of the people who run the guesthouse that I’m staying at. Let me tell you it was not what I expected. Imagine one man yelling into a microphone/then singing/then yelling/lots of hallelujah’s and amens for the first 30 minutes while the other 7 people in the church walked around – usually up and down one particular row. I was so looking forward to listening to God – and I kept telling God that it was very hard for me to listen in this situation but praying for his presence for all of us. Long story short – a man who I had met previously then stood up to preach and we sat down – and it was wonderful. He spoke off of Exodus 1:14-28?? (somewhere in there) about God’s provision in the midst of testing. Trusting in that provision. It was just what I needed. So thank you God for John and how you spoke through him to me and released the frustration and brought peace to me.

Much love,
Daron"

8 comments:

Amy said...

It si so fun to read these updates! So glad to know he is having an interesting time!

Fabu

A. Gillispie said...

That meal sounds about right! I've actually really started to like eating pork and beans with my eggs! ;-)

I'm sorry Daron had a difficult person at the DHS office. I think this is their way of telling him he shouldn't call to check on the status of things. No way will it take six months! It is super frustrating when you go in thinking your an American citizen so will receive kind and responsive service. Just not the case--at any Emassy I've ever been at. Things are usually nicer at the consulate (where you might actually work with an American).

Anita

Deborah said...

You are in our prayers, for sure!!
I'm so glad that you are there to give lots of Daddy hugs and time and attention to the children. I bet the Aunties love to see how much we love their children.

Jen said...

Ahh, church- the LOUD praising. On Sunday a man yells, a woman repeats in a second language and Auntie Comfort translated in my ear English...memories... If he wants to avoid the singing and dancing, might I suggest he hold a sleeping toddler...worked for me!!!Selina slept through it all praise God! LOL

Jennine

Laurel said...

I think I met the same woman at the Embassy. She also told me that it should be "less than 6 months". Great! We had only planned to stay 2 weeks ...

Blessings,

Laurel :)

Heather said...

I've eaten "sausage" at one of the hotels I stayed in. . . . Let's just say "sausage" is a loose term in Ghana!

Sorry to hear that the woman at the Embassy wasn't as nice as she should/could have been. We'll be praying for a quick turn around for you!

Ginny and Ben said...

6 months!! I will warn Ben about this particularly friendliness-challenged employee. We'll keep you in our prayers!

Karleen said...

No one commented about the coffee. You will have to go to Ethiopia next time.....after you drink thier coffee, you never want Starbucks again! :) Love the hot dogs though......