Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thank you for Donations!

So..I have been home now for awhile and have only posted some random pictures so far of the donations that were given that we could take over to Eban House and to another orphanage in Ghana. We had three separate donation drives that we focused on when going out there and we were so thankful and blessed by the outpouring that we received. You truly made a difference-thanks!
When Daron was first there, we heard about their need for a new oven/stove top. The one that they had in Eban House that they were using to cook for at least 35 people/3 times a day, had a stove top that was hardly working and the glass on the oven door wasn't even there! A small group of people heard about this from Daron's hometown in MN, and they donated the whole amount in one day for a new one! Below are pictures of the old and the new:

Pretty cool, huh? The aunties were so excited to cook the first meal on it, which was the goat that we bought for them! Did you know that they cook the whole goat? They cook it with the hair, the skin, the TEETH!! Daron and Justus ate the heart-yuck! And since Daron and I bought the goat, he was offered the head, but he declined it and passed it on to the 'man of the house,' Percy. Luckily for me, I was hanging with the kids and didn't realize all that was cooked in the stew, otherwise I maybe wouldn't have eaten it and I for sure wouldn't have made the kids try it! ;)

There were also lots of families from two of our local elementary schools that brought donations into the school for us to bring. Other people from the community also contributed that weren't part of the schools. We were able to fill up 6 bags of donations (I think that is right, I can't remember anymore!) for us to share between the two orphanages where our children have spent most of their lives. Thank you to all the families, teachers, and children that shared just a little, so we could bring alot over to them.
mosquito nets for the beds
When my mom and I head over in the next few weeks(hopefully!), I am not going to be able to bring as many bags again, so we will fill up with what we can and then I hope to bring over some money to buy more diapers and/or formula when we are there. If you would like to contribute to this, please let me know! Before leaving, I will find out if there are any more specific needs.

No comments: