We are all in Ghana together!!! Sorry it has taken so long for me to update you; we let our family know that we got here; but then I haven’t been able to go to an internet cafĂ© yet or do this at Eban House because of timing issues. First off, we have obviously met Fia & Kwame now and our time with them everyday is our favorite. They are even tinier than I thought. Well, we were probably right about Mefia, but Kwame is not quite size 18mo. He is little and they are sooo cute!!! Our flight here went super smooth and the kids were awesome! I was never worried about them traveling; and now I am glad I didn’t since it would have been worrying for nothing.
We arrived into Ghana later on Sat., so we couldn’t meet the kids until the morning. So after going for breakfast, we jetted over to meet the kids. They were already at church by 9:00, so we got to meet them there. As we were walking around the building, we all spied Kwame and he smiled at us and came running to Daron(“Daddy-Daddy”). Fia then came outside too and we picked them up and hugged them!! Justus, Greta, and Ella were also so excited and I couldn’t believe that we were all finally together. We just held them and sat with them for a few moments before going back into the children’s church with them. After church we went back to Eban and played with them there for awhile until it was time for them to have lunch and take naps. The older three just love playing with their siblings and the other kids at Eban Home. Every morning they wake up, they ask, “When can we go, hurry up we need to go to Eban now, etc”; they have fallen in love with Fia and Kwame and it is so wonderful to see.
What is hard is that we still don’t have the approval for the 1-600 or the passports, so we can’t take custody of them yet. I think it is going to make a world of difference when we can. Right now, I see it is hard for Fia to see us all come, play with them, then leave. On one hand, we are getting to know them and growing closer, and on the other I think she is smart enough to question why we aren’t all leaving together, but too young to understand why. It is just hard. As wonderful as the orphanage is, it is still an orphanage/adoption center, and it is not a home with their family. I long for the time when we can live like a family and be together forever! I am hopeful it is soon, and yet, everyday is hard to see come and go without a change in the status. Fia and Kwame need us, and we need them!
We have also been able to experience some Ghanaian food –some we like and others, not so much! Daron has taken us to some of his favorite places nearby and gotten us to try some new things. I have gotten to have coke out of a bottle, and hope to again soon. We also have loved their ice cream treats that you can buy on the side of the road. They are almost like big Mr. Freezes with ice cream in it that you have to suck out. Interesting……..Probably everyone’s favorite meals have been the ones that Daron has cooked us to remind us of home a bit. One morning he cooked us eggs, made me coffee, and we had some pineapple juice and one evening he made a big pot of spaghetti. He has also been cleaning all our dishes so I don’t have too! I think it has been funny for the people of Ghana to see him do this, but he knows me well, and he is taking care of me!!! What a great husband, huh?
Tuesday we are going to go and explore a little of the region where are kids are from, Lartey, and hope to find some great fabrics and Ghanian items to bring home with us from there. We will try post some pictures when we can!
20 comments:
Yea! So excited for you!!!
Will keep praying for I600 approval and passports.
Laurel
Precious times! Will be praying about the passports and I 600. He is more than able!
What an amazing description of your first meeting with the children! Makes me cry.
Love that Daron is taking care of you in Ghana! That is definitly NOT the cultural norm, and I'd love to be a fly on the wall and catch the reactions!
Have a wonderful trip. Praying for I600 and passports to arrrive so you can take custody.
Heather A
I have goosebumps! I am so happy for all of you, and will continue to pray with you about the passports and I600...and for miss Fia's heart...:) Sending you all love - The Meek Family
Great to hear your news......everyone is asking and praying. Remember that Fia and Kwame are loved by God even more than you love them. He has already done awesome things for them. He will pave the way.....He's been shouting "With Me ALL things are possible", so... "Commit your work to the Lord and your plans will succeed" Pv 16:3 ....... Vast Love and Prayers coming your way, Grandma Bevy and Grampa Gordy
I can't see through my tears to type! :)
Praise to our Lord!!!
I'll be praying Phil 4:6-7...
How wonderful to read your post! Your sweeties are just as precious as can be and it makes my heart so happy to know you are together!
Praying for I-600 approval and passports!
Fabu
So glad you're finally able to wrap arms around your children. We're praying for speedy resolution! J&E
So glad to hear from you! I had the Tuesday morning Bible study group praying for you all and specifically the paperwork to come through! Hopefully you felt it at 3:00.
With love
Courtney and gang
I don't even know how to express my joy for you except to say I want to JUMP up and down and scream, "YAY! You are all together now!!" We are praying for you and I have been madly checking your blog for updates. Daron, right on for being the supportive, care-giving husband...you rock! Sending you all love from Corvallis :-)
We are all so happy and excited that you are there with your children! We are praying everyday that everything will fall into place with the I-600 and passports. The girls are very eager to meet their new cousins and excited to see more pictures!
We love you and are praying for all of you!
Ingrid
After an awful night at work, it was so awesome to read about you meeting the kids!!!!! Nobody could figure out why I was crying! We'll keep praying. Can't wait for more posts!
Kristin,
I am so happy that you are all finally together. I also was teary eyed as I read this post. Enjoy your time there. I am glad you are going to do some traveling there- you will always be go glad you did. This is so great that I keep checking your blog to read YOUR posts this time my friend. I can't wait to hear more about your trip and the kids!
Sending hugs,
Jennine
We are adopting from Ghana and we are going through this time with you. Our son's passport has been issued just not printed yet and we are waiting on his approval as well.
We are praying for you and we will put your family in our prayer jar
God is the Greatest;
Tee
What an amazing first day and first meeting! I am so glad you all are together. I will keep the approval and passports in our prayers. Keep loving them! :)
Chalene
Kristin -
WOW!!!!! You are ALL 7 together!!!!!! How AWESOME and MIRACLEOUS!!!! Praying with you for the passports and approval ...
Isaiah 40:31
Blessings on this precious time in Ghana!
Maria
Woohooo!!!!! So excited for you guys - wonderful to read an update.
I wrote about you guys - a blog award included... you have lots going on, but just wanted you to know...
Praying for you all!
Thanks everyone for your comments! You all made ME cry knowing that there are so many prayers out there! We need them today-it is a big day and Daron is trying to get the passports as we speak!
Thanks everyone for your comments! You all made ME cry knowing that there are so many prayers out there! We need them today-it is a big day and Daron is trying to get the passports as we speak!
So great to read both of the updates! We cant wait to meet them, it sounds like you may need some more 12-18 MO clothes! Anders has plenty to share we will gladly send them your way when you return. We hope you woke up to great news this morning regarding the paperwork moving forward.
L,
The Aikens
Post a Comment