Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful & Heartbroken-goodbye to my Grandma Gwen

My Grandma Gwen passed away today....I know I shouldn't be surprised when I get a call that my 91 year old grandmother just died, but I was literally shocked today. For the last month or so she has been in and out of doctor's offices for her back and other small setbacks that have made her weak, but I was still surprised because we all just thought she would turn around. I thought this was just temporary and now I really wish I would have gone into be with her. The last couple weeks have just been busy with one kid or another being sick since the beginning of October and Ella getting her tonsils out yesterday. I kept thinking I would go and see her after Thanksgiving if she couldn't make it out to my parents...I know I shouldn't beat myself up, but I am and it stinks! I miss her and I just want to hug her one last time. I am thankful though that it was quick and her pain wasn't drawn out. She is now with Jesus and I am peaceful about that. I thank God that my dad could be with her when she suddenly died; what are the chances of that? I believe that God was definitely in control of the timing.

Below are some pictures that I quickly found of her of the last couple years. I will do more of a tribute to her another night; now I just want to grieve her and what she has meant to me and my family. Please keep everyone who is touched by Grandma Gwen in your prayers as we celebrate and honor her life.
This picture with Kwame was actually just about two months ago. It is my last picture of her that I had taken. She took Fia, Kwame, my mom, and I out for dinner at The Shores and she was so excited to introduce her new great grandchildren to all of her friends. She was in good health then, so just another reason I am still reeling.
This picture was from a couple Thanksgivings ago-the Doublemint Twins! ;)

Kwame and Grandma quickly developed a little bond that was fun to watch. She talked to me before we adopted on how much has changed in her lifetime as she remembers being segregated on the buses. She was very happy to have these little ones join our family!
A favorite of my dad, Grandma, and Aunt Jan.
Easter dinner 2008: Ella was so excited to sit between her Grandma and Great Grandma

Aunt Jan and Grandma. As Grandma's only daughter, Jan has always been so helpful in bringing Grandma back and forth between all the gatherings. Thanks Jan for all that you have given!
Grandma's oldest grandson always had a way of making her laugh. Except when he didn't! ;) She and Brad had a great bond that I loved to watch.
I got to be on the boat a couple times with Grandma. This was an especially fun day last year when we took the boat from her place on Mercer Island over to Kirkland for lunch. She was very excited that we did this and a couple of her friends had to see us off!
Two summers ago we celebrated her 90th birthday with most of the family. She is missing at least another half dozen great grandchildren in this picture now! This photo shoot was hilarious as we could never get the kids to look at the same time. I love Kinzie's face in the back-looks like she and Justus were up to mischief.
One highlight of the reunion was that Justus and KJ got Grandma to play a little Wii!
She was an avid sports fan, so it was not surprising that she even had fun watching all the kids play the Wii.
Lastly, here is a picture I enjoyed. Many were surrounding her to see pictures of the past and hear more of our family history.

I will surely miss her and can hardly believe she is gone. It is wonderful though to be able to celebrate her life and know that she is now at PEACE.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman and a wonderful blessing to your family. Thanks for sharing about her and big hugs to you tonight.

Amy Fabu Ferrell

Kelly said...

So sorry Kristin, She seemed like an amazing woman. I know God's peace will protect your heart during this time of saying good bye.
Love you,
Kelly

Unknown said...

Kristin, I'm so sorry. I'm happy that you have so many good memories of your Grandma to comfort you. What a blessing for your kids that they all got the opportunity to know her.
Nicki

Becca Groves said...

I feel your heartache and deep sadness through your writing, and I feel sad too. Those great women of faith who model a life well lived are such incredible witnesses to us living out our younger years.

I'm thinking of you today and praying for you as you grieve.

Anonymous said...

Your grandma is so beautiful! Hold onto all those wonderful memories you have of her - she does live on in each of you. Take care and you will be in my thoughts.

Heather said...

Kristin, I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and sending prayers up for your family right now.

Blessings, Heather A

Robb and Rebecca said...

Kristin, I am sorry for your sadness. Her passing away sounds very similar to when I lost my grandma about 18 months ago. We thought she would outlive us all. But, she wanted to go see Jesus. What a birthday celebration your grandma will get to be a part of this Christmas. Our prayers for ease of pain for you and your family today.

Laurel said...

Praying for you and your family tonight. Thanking Jesus that your dad was able to be with her in her passing.

My dad is 91, and I know this day will come all too soon. We don't see him as often as we'd like, so I'm sure I'll have some regrets as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Hope your Thanksgiving was BLESSED!

Laurel & the gang

Robin Dodd Photography said...

Kristen,

I'm so behind in keeping up with my friends.. just now seeing this.. God Bless your grandma. I can see how special she was through your words and photos. This post really made me emotional as my Lily , my grandma is 87 and far away in TX. I love all the photos you posted. So sweet!

Much love to you and all the Jags!

sarah in the woods said...

So sorry, Kristin. The pictures of her with the kids are so precious.