Sunday, November 8, 2009

Orphan Sunday, November 8, 2009

It is amazing that a year ago today, Daron was arriving in Ghana and going to meet our children for the first time in the morning. What excitement and questions we had. What anticipation, hope, fear, etc. I remember just watching the computer and carrying around the phone for any kind of message. Wow. These kids are huge blessings to us.

I find it interesting that today is Orphan Sunday. You can check out a video on it here. I was and have forever been completely overwhelmed my how many orphans there are. I know that everyone doesn't feel like they can bring a child into your house, but there are lots of other avenues: Prayer, sponsorship, encouragement to others that have adopted, financial support, research and knowledge, etc....but, of course, if you are feeling an inkling towards adoption, foster care, or orphan care, please keep praying about it. It is HUGE however you decide to get involved. It might not feel like we are always making a big difference, but you are making a huge difference in ONE life! And actually, you are doing much more as I realize now how blessed WE are for having these two children in our lives.

Last night we were fortunate to go to a fundraiser for an organization that is called Water 1st. You can check it out here. This is a group that has come together to bring clean water and sanitation to the poorest parts of the world. So far, they have helped so many and last night they raised $500,000 to bring toilets and clean water to the slums in Bangladesh, and to more future projects. This is an amazing way that you can help orphans and event prevent orphans.
I was impressed with the founder and her speech last night. One thing she said that we did seem to win the birth lottery and it isn't our fault. Instead of trying to find fault in someone, how about just work on making it right for others. So many children are dying of diarrhea. The statistics were awful to hear.

I also want to mention the agency that we went with to adopt Fia and Kwame. It is called Adoption Advocates International. If you are at all interested in helping support the orphanage in Ghana or just as important, helping sponsor families in their community to be able to keep their children with them, there is great need. There is also a nearby orphanage that is unrelated to ours, but our agency is sponsoring because they have hardly any basic needs. There is also the hope for all the children and staff from the agency to receive a small Christmas gift and a special meal, so you can give to the 'Holiday Project.' If you are at all interested in giving in this way, you can click here, and either click on Ghana/Eban House and specify what you want it to go towards or just have it unrestricted. The Holiday Project is also a separate button and you can designate Ghana if you choose, or it will also go to Ethiopia, which would be just as welcomed.

I know finances are tight for everyone right now, but it is amazing how much God blesses when we share our blessings with others. Just some food for thought.

Any questions?? Feel free to leave a message and I can try and help to steer you in the right direction.

2 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

I know you have been blessed by those two sweet little ones. Thanks for the links.

velmabredberg said...

I am happy that Mary suggesed sending your gifts and all the rest of the famiyl to the orphanage in Ghana. Do you have a picture I could send to all the Great greandchildren instead of the cards I send to the rest of them for Heifer gifts? I love you, Grandma B