Monday, May 4, 2009

Hair and Lotion (3 months in & learning)

I figure I will have a new post in a couple of months, but because some have asked what we are doing, I will share what a regular day looks like in the hair and skin arena for the little ones. I still have a lot to learn, I know, but for right now, this is what we are doing and it is just MY opinion. I would also love to hear what products you LOVE for your child's kinky hair and as we all know, what works in ones person's hair, will not necessarily work in another since everyone has different textures. As a matter of fact, Fia has softer and looser curls in the front of her head than what she has in the back. I definitely have to use more product on the back of her head to keep it more moisturized.
So...below I will list out the skin and hair products that I have found to work for Fia and Kwame. I would love other products that those of you have found to be tried and true since right now, I just have a bunch of 'tried' and not so many that are 'true.' Here goes...
Skin: Fia and Kwame need to be lotioned twice a day if I don't want their skin to get ashy or dry(which I don't, so I do it, but man....I now realize how I have neglected the other 3 kids skincare- I think they use lotion once a year!!And that is suntan lotion-just kidding-maybe...). I have found a few products that I like that aren't too expensive and you can find at a Target, Walmart, or other drugstores.
1)Suave Cocoa Butter with Shea moisturizer- this I buy in the family size and now use it for all of us(only a couple of us get it twice a day though). I keep this in each of the bathrooms b/c I am lazy, but this seems to last all day for Fia and Kwame and isn't greasy. The only real con I could see with this, is that it could be a little thicker. Besides that, I find it a very good smelling lotion for a great price with SHEA!
2)Palmer's Shea Butter Formula-made with organic Shea-in the pump bottle- This lasts even longer through the day and if I skip it in the evening by accident, it isn't as noticeable. Not greasy at all and probably my favorite but I have only found it in a smaller 13oz. bottle as compared to the Suave in a 32 oz. I like the big ones so I don't have to go to the big chains that often since I have a spending problem and feel the need to buy all the 'deals' when I see them. I am much better off if I never set foot in the stores!
3)Palmer's Shea Butter Formula -solid- this has the Shea butter as the first ingredient, smells great, it is a little greasier, but moisturizes really well. Both of them have vitamin E as a main ingredient too.

Hair: Right now we are keeping Kwame's hair short, so I just need to make sure that I moisturize it a couple times a day. I am being a little sexist I know, but I have been using the less expensive products on him since his hair gets shaved off every month or so. I know...it probably isn't fair, but life isn't fair! So...for the cheap products(LOL) I am using in Kwame's hair:
1) Motions Hair and Scalp Daily Moisturizing Hairdressing-the product is okay. I bought the whole shampoo/conditioning system in Motions and it works well for Kwame, but it doesn't keep the curl enough for Fia so that is why I don't use it for her. I just rub this into Kwame's head and then I use a wide toothed comb to go through it.
)Motions Nourish Leave-In Conditioner-This is a good spray that I can use if his hair needs a little more moisture throughout the day or we just need a touch up. I also use this on Fia's hair before other products when wetting it and combing through. So far, I have liked this spray better than other more expensive ones.
3)Luster's PINK Original oil moisturizer -this is one that I have been recommended from many and it is definitely worth the 4 bucks that it is, and then some. It isn't amazing or anything, but it does make the hair very soft. I use this in both the kids hair when they need some more moisture or when I am braiding. It is an inexpensive way to condition and it definitely makes it softer and smells good too. This is a good one for Kwame after I have conditioned his hair in the bath (once a week).
For Fia, I have tried many more things since, as of now, I mostly choose to have her wear her hair natural. Like Kwame, I only condition her hair once or twice a week and don't even shampoo it unless it has gotten very dirty for some reason. The shampoo dries her hair out even more, so as long as I rinse and condition, we are good to go. The hair products that I have liked the most for her so far are the Curly Q's products.

Curly Q's Coconut Dream Moisturizing Conditioner- Like I said above, I use this every couple of days instead of shampoo. It smells amazing and makes the most beautiful curls in her hair. All of the Curly Q products are natural and is SO YUMMY! Before this, I didn't realize that she had the curls that she does. Sometimes for extra conditioning, I will add some more in after I have rinsed and leave it in. When she is in the bath and I have put the conditioner in the first time, I use a wide tooth comb and my fingers to go through it in the tub,rinse and then just pat dry. I don't comb through it again or it will be too poofy.

Every morning I will spray her hair with either water, the Motions leave in conditioner spray or Curly Q's Moist Curls Spray. I then comb through small sections adding one of the different moisturizers. There are three that I tend to use the most:
1)Curly Q's Milkshake: This smells amazing, first of all. It is about $14 a tub, but it is a great leave in conditioner for very dry hair. It really does hydrate well, as well as soften, Fia's hair. It also seems to relax some of the poofiness(new word?) and leave more curls. Again, this brand is natural and so it just feels good too. This one isn't very heavy and would also be good before braiding.
2) Curly Q's Custard- This one smells even better than the milkshake! ;) It is a little heavier and helps to give more curl definition. Supposedly it also helps elongate the curls, but I haven't noticed that. It is also great for strengthening the hair, but it might be a every other day for these products b/c this is also about $14 -$16, while the Motions and Pink run you only about $4. I say that, but I keep going back to them for Fia's hair since I really see a difference when I use them.
3)Carol's Daughter Hair Milk- This is much lighter than the above two and it is free of petroleum and artificial junk, as well. It is also more expensive than the drugstore brands and I hadn't really been that impressed with it and all the hype it got at first. It said it is suppose to add shine and frizz free definition. I noticed the shine, but for Fia's hair, it doesn't seem to help the frizz too much unless I use ALOT!! What I do notice it doing though is making her hair very soft and keeping the moisture when I have her hair in twists or braids. When her hair comes out of the twists after a couple of days or after a nights sleep, it is SO soft and looks very healthy-so, I am now a fan of the infamous Hair Milk.

Recap of Fia's Routine: At bedtime and some naps I now put the Hair Milk in Fia's hair(when I am not too rushed) and do about 4-5 twists in her hair, along with her satin cap. This helps me to have less work when she wakes up and keeps her hair a little more hydrated while she sleeps. Once she wakes up, I just take out the twists, spray on some water or other spray to each section and add the Curly Q Custard or Milkshake. I then add one of my favorite hair bands for her and we call it a day(or at least a couple hours)!
Until next month....when I will probably have an entirely different routine! ;)

14 comments:

Kerry said...

Well, as a white mama to a black daughter, you know I LOVE comparing hair and skin routines! :)

I use Carol's Daughter products almost exclusively...and while they are expensive they last a pretty long time, it seems.

Right now we are using Tui Leave-in conditioner (to detangle and "refresh" each morning), Black Vanilla Hair Smoothie (during her bath for conditioning every few days) and Almond Cookie Shea Souffle each morning for her skin.

Kristin said...

Kerry, I am such a dork b/c when I bought the Hair Milk a couple months ago I got some samples of Tui and the smoothie but I didn't label them so I don't want to put the wrong thing in her hair! For the Tui conditioner, is it a spray? Is the Hair Smoothie the only product you use for bath? Lastly, the Almond Cookie sounds delish-I will have to try that too! Thanks for your words!

tlforsythe said...

I'm exhausted just reading this...:)Keep up the good work! They always look beautiful when I see them.

Erik Halverson said...

What!!? You use cheaper products on Kwame? As a godparent, I demand you use the same product.

Padilla Fam said...

wowie zowie!! i guess i had no idea how involved the whole hair thing was going to be, yikes!! you are so thorough with all your products and comments/rating (you should be getting a commission from some of those companies, ha). i'll definitely be referring back to your blog on this part once our kids come home, thank you ;-)

Grace said...

Thanks for the reviews, Kristin! It's good to know that twice a day IS normal as I work on getting my own routine. I feel so bad for my kids--coming from humid Ghana to dry, dry southern California!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was just blog hopping this morning when I read this post. I commend you for taking the time to learn your children's hair. I've used all of the products you have listed. Here are my favorites:

Carol's Daughter is great. Tui & Black Vanilla are my favorite scents. Tui and Loc Butter are my favorite moisturizers and styling lotions.)You may like Blended Beauty. Their website is www.blendedbeauty.com. The children's line is called Blended Cutie. There's also a site called sistasplace.biz that sells a lot of natural products. You could also order a bunch of samples, as well.

As far as skin goes, my children have eczema in different areas of their body. This winter has been very drying on my whole family. Eucerin is a very good lotion. The Eucerin Calming Creme is the best for dryness. Aveeno's line of lotion is also good.

Enjoy your hair journey with your children. They are absolutely adorable.

Sue said...

Fia's hair is beautiful, you are doing a great job!

Tracie said...

wow! I barely comb my kids hair! I think they look great, especially Fia with a headband.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the comments ladies and gentleman. Erik, as Godfather of Kwame, I think it is your job to supply the hair products for him that you would like to see me use on him! ;)
Regenerated Sister, thanks for you comments and advice. I had seen sistasplace before but not seen blendedbeauty products. I will have to check them out since I much prefer the natural products. Can't wait to try some of these out-when I get my next paycheck! ;)

bbqdaisy said...

THANKS for taking the time to share all of this information!
AWESOME!!!!
Maria

Laurel said...

Yes ... I will pick up some pure shea butter for you. I have several orders to pick up, in addition to getting more for my own kids. So, I'll make someone happy when I buy about 5 bags.


:) :) :)

sarah in the woods said...

Thank you for so much for sharing this! Fia's hair is so gorgeous. I am really clueless about this hair business, so this helps a lot. I'm going to try some of the products and techniques on Zahana.

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome Krsitin! Such a routine you have going on. Aaaand had no idea Greta broke her arm. Anders may have to drop over to bring her something...even if she is on the mend. Now they have both had surgery at Childrens. Mathew is Halibut fishing coming home Saturday, so maybe we will have to stop over with some fish. Its been awhile since we have done that.

Randi