Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Week 2 with kids Home

Sorry that I haven't posted in almost a week for those that are far away and want to see the kids. Actually, we haven't really been out in town much yet, so those that are close haven't probably seen the kids yet either. We had a great time with Grandma in town and then this week the kids also got to meet their Uncle Brad and spend time again with Aunt Ingrid, Kaia and Lola. I love seeing my family with the kids - they love them so much already too. The cousins had a fun time playing together and Lola(3yrs.) even tried speaking in Twi!! It was so cute; I wish I would have witnessed it, but I guess Lola heard Fia and Kwame talking to each other and she looked at them and said, "that's funny!" Then she started to speak to them in her version of Twi- so cute!!

I brought the youngest kids over to Seattle for a doctors appt. and also made an appt. for Fia to get her hair cut and done. I think she really liked it; after all, it was an Aveda Salon! I definitely won't be doing that too often, but it was very reasonably priced for a first good shampoo, hair cut, and style. The stylist also had me try doing things; so it was a bit of hands on learning. They loved the ferry ride over and in between appts., we went to go and meet Great Grandma Gwen. They loved meeting her and I think she loved hearing them sing 'Jesus Loves Me.' Hopefully we can spend more time with her soon.

Yesterday we had our first of three post placement meetings with our social worker and it went well. I didn't really know what to expect, but it was very laid back and she just wanted to meet the kids, hear about our travels, and witness our family in action. Hopefully there wasn't too much she was worried about!


I have really enjoyed this last week and a half with our new family of seven. Normal is a little different than it was before, but I sure love it- all the kids are really becoming a sibling unit and I think Daron and I have been a good team together. We got to go out already on a date too! When Mary was here, we went out on Valentine's after the kids were all in bed. It was so nice to go out and enjoy each other at a great, new little restaurant in town. I wasn't sure if we would feel up to leaving already, but it was really nice for Daron and I since we are used to getting a decent amount of time just for ourselves. We are so thankful that she was able to come and meet the kids and help out with meals at night. She told me to post this picture of her cooking- it didn't always go as smoothly as we would hope!!! I am sure she had at least two kids under her though, so it wasn't entirely her fault. :) Grandma also got to be here to see Ella perform some of her Norwegian dancing at a nursing home on Valentine's Day. She did a great job-it was my first time seeing her perform; what a cutie!
It has also been great to have Grandma Bev and Grandpa Gordy live near and be here to play with the kids and give the older three some extra special time right now when we are focusing more on the younger two. We are so blessed to have our family and friends love us through this wonderful process!

7 comments:

annika said...

It is so fun to read about the day to day stuff these first two weeks. I'm happy for you all that you have such a supportive network of family and friends nearby! We think of you all so often.
Love,
Annika

Mom to Four said...

Thanks for taking to time to post an update. Glad things are going well and you have lots of support. Our daughter has had so much fun in the dress up clothes too-lots of fun pics.

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt Lola told me about you today when we gals were out for lunch. She sent me the link to your site and I have been really enjoying reading about your new family additions. What a wonderful journey you are imbarking on as a family. You are so fortunate to have such a big, supportive and loving extended family.

Kathy - Oceanside, CA

Salzwedel Family said...

So glad to hear things are going well. You have a beautiful family.

Deborah said...

This is such good news! I am so very happy for you. The pictures are so sweet and really help tell the story of the love that your family has for each other and the new babies. Thank you for taking the time to post - I was really looking forward to seeing how things were going.

Have a blessed week.

tlforsythe said...

OK so what is the trick to get a little one to sit still to get a 'do' done? I still haven't worked that out! :) It's great to see ALL the Jags together, finally. What a blessed family!

Heather said...

It's so incredible to see your family all at home and all together!