(Written Monday night)
We had a day that was completely up and down. We hurried and woke up early today to go and try and meet at the embassy. When we got halfway there, it was evident from talking to our coordinator and the embassy that we weren’t going to get an appointment today, so we just turned around. It left us a little down, to say the least, but we both were trying to put up a front that we were okay. My mom and I were starting to get worn down by the heat, the food, things not going as we hoped, etc…but instead were trying to focus on the fact that we were with the kids. We hung out in our room for the morning, then headed out to an early lunch at The Ultimate, a nearby joint. My mom and I had fried chicken and French fries and each had a Orange Fanta in a bottle. The kids had Fufu in a light soup with meat. The fufu is a doughy ball- that they just loved. My mom couldn’t look at it, she was feeling so sick at the time and neither of us could touch our fries. The heat and the difference in food can really get to you, but I think the worrying was attacking our stomachs too. We went back for naps, then headed over to play at Eban House. Kwame wasn’t too sure about taking a nap. He has gotten used to playing in the morning, eating lunch, and going swimming (we did that a couple of days when the whole family was here in December and then did it yesterday). Anyway, he went over to show me his swimsuit and I said no, we were taking naps. Then he started with his chicken arm again! ;) It is hard not to laugh, but it was actually the first time he started crying with me. Mefia was ready for a nap, so this time she was easy!
I went to Eban first to go and try and email/call the embassy/send the emails/blog, etc. while the kids at Eban were napping too. It was fun to be able to see my family on the video phone for a few minutes and let them see the kids here too, since of course, everyone woke up write when I was getting connected! (Good and bad- it was hard to hear then).
The kids at Eban House are so great as well as these aunties. They have taught them some songs, games, etc, and the kids just love singing and dancing for you. Today a couple of cuties were singing “I’m a little teacup” for me and then it goes into this whole medley- so cute! One of the aunties was also teaching the little 4 and under kids their numbers today up to nine. I wasn’t too impressed until I heard them all spelling the numbers too! I know my kids at home were not spelling the number eight at 3! Anyway…it is fun to see the things the kids know, and then just realize some of the basics that they don’t. For instance, when we have taken the kids out to eat, it has been interesting! (I obviously realize they they don’t have restaurant etiquette, but it is still fun to see) Anyway…they eat everything that I would never eat: the bones, the fat, the whatever it is????, but when they don’t like something, they just take it out of their mouth and throw it on the floor! Kwame did that with a tiny piece of carrot that was in his fried rice. He was a fast learner though and now just takes it out of his mouth and puts it on his plate! ;) I don’t which is better, I didn’t have to see it when it was on the floor.
Around 5 o’clock our time, I received a call from the embassy that we got written on the docket for tomorrow and we are to be there real early! Almost instantaneously, my mom and I were feeling better and celebrating! That is about the time that my mom started playing red light, green light, a Ghanaian version of duck duck goose, etc. We stayed around until close to dinner, visited with our friend, Lucy, who lives nearby and said some prayers of thanksgiving with her and her mom, ate at the Ultimate for dinner, and then went back to get ready for tomorrow. We were feeling good and ready to take on tomorrow now!
Kwame and Fia are really doing great. I can’t imagine how it would be for them right now- so many emotions I would think. Kwame has started to give us kisses now ( I think my mom taught him) and Fia is still reluctant. They like to receive them, but not as easy to give. It isn’t part of the of the Ghanaian culture to kiss, but I can’t resist!
Well, I need to get to bed( I am writing this in my room and will post when I have internet), tomorrow is a big day!
Much love!
1 comment:
Orange Fanta ... I have not had orange pop in America since I was a child (and that was a long time ago). But ... in Ghana ... that was my favorite treat. Almost every night, after the kids were in bed, my hubby and I would have an Orange Fanta. Sprite was available ... but there was just something about that Orange Fanta in Africa.
Fun memories ...
Laurel :)
Post a Comment