We woke up at 5:30 this morning to head into Accra for our Visa appointment. When the lady called last night, she said that we would be on the docket, even though we didn’t have a paper with our appointment time on it. I was a little nervous when we got to the embassy and before you could walk in the door, you had to show them your appointment slip. When it was our turn, the man looked for both my kids names and mine and it wasn’t on the list. I was getting very nervous! Traffic wasn’t as bad as we expected, so we got their sooner than Percy, so I was wondering what they would tell me. A few minutes later after the guard went through the rest of the line, he told me to follow him inside. We had to empty all our bags of electronics, food, and drinks. Then we had to go through security and I think my bag had to go through at least three times because they kept finding hidden electronics in pockets (phone, us phone, ipod, camera, flashlight). Once I made it through I felt like the heavens parted! J I knew it was such a big deal to get inside; not such a good thing to feel when it is your own embassy, but we only encountered one American there. They called us up pretty quickly and luckily Percy had come a few minutes later, because we were just given the information yesterday but I wasn’t told to do anything. A few of the forms weren’t filled out, so he quickly did it and was pretty much ready when the lady called us up. They mostly spoke in their village language, so I didn’t understand much. I would insert myself when I felt it was needed and she was happy to see me with the kids. After about 20 long minutes, she said everything was in order and I could go and pay for the visa and they would call me for the interview! I thought that was the interview, but Percy said the next part was easy. About 30 minutes later we were called up for our meeting. The man at the window asked Percy why he was there since I was there, and eventually excused him. I thought, oh no, this is going to be rough. We started small talk and he went onto say that he noticed my husband went to Fuller and that he lived by there and I think took a class. Then I mentioned Chicago and he said he went to Wheaton there! I about died! I told him that I went to North Park and that’s where my husband and I met. Wheaton is North Park’s biggest rival, so that was fun for us. He quickly said everything was in order after he checked it out and that they would do their best to get the visas ready for Thursday at 2:00. We need to be at the airport around 5. Ahhh….I had a huge sigh of relief and thanked the man and we were on our way! Wow! I am so thankful that the interview went so well, our documents were in order, and we are hopefully going to be coming home on Thursday!!! Thanks for all your prayers and words of encouragement! I am so thankful to read them when I get a chance.
I will try and write more later…. I need to go and be with my kids!
12 comments:
Kristin-I am so happy for you and I know you feel a huge weight lifted from you. I hope you are enjoying a wonderful day with your children knowing another step has been crossed. What a faithful God we serve who is paving the road for you to bring your little ones home. When you go back to the embassy on Thurs it is a very quick trip-you will wait in the same area for them to call you up and then they will hand you their visas and the ever important sealed package-it seems a bit odd-like there should be trumpets sounding, lights flashing and confetti falling for all of the hard work it takes to get the visas. I am sure the world will see the joy and happiness on your face :)
Something else I forgot to tell you (but maybe you already know) is that you might need to present your court documents to the security guards at the airport. You would think the visa in the passport would be enough-but they wanted proof we could take our daughter. They didn't look over them throughly-just thought you should have handy to show. We are so happy for you!
Many prayers of thanksgiving and praise-
JJ
Kristin, God is so good. A Fuller/Wheaton contact?....Wow. Did your mom tell you Rich and Judi from Bainbridge went to Wheaton? Ted and I have breakfast at Bella Luna with Rich in an hour. I hope your Mom can handle the heat one more day. Tell her I miss her and am calling her Mom now to give her the update. Love, dad
WOO HOO!! I am so excited for you guys, can't wait to see you, hug you, and meet the kids! Let us know when you are ready for visitors! Give Bev a hug, tell her I think she's amazing...crying tears of joy, relief, and thanksgiving for you guys! Love, Angela
I love my wife!!! Thanks everyone for your love and prayers. - Daron
So great to read all this good news! Thanks for the wonderful updates Kristin. Sarah is all ready for her new friends Kwame and Fia to come to her house! She had a great time playing with the older three yesterday while Jon and Daron chopped wood. They were all so good to her -- Justus made her giggle, Gretta pulled her in the wagon, Ella taught her how to skip. What great big sisters and brother they are! We can't wait to have you all home. Blessings, more prayers for smooth travel, lots of love. Jen
What wonderful news! I could not sleep last night, so I found myself praying for you while you were there! I am so glad that it went so wel, and what a small world with the Fuller/Wheaton connections. I hope your mom is surviving the heat ok. Tell her hi, and give the kids a hug. We continue to pray for you all.
Miss you,
Ingrid
What a ride! Your blogs are so packed with emotion I feel myself tuckered out after each one! Praise God for this good meeting with a a man who is clearly on your side. We will continue to pray but it sure does sound like you're in the HOME stretch!
Joyfully,
Becca
YIPEEEE!
This is WONDERFUL!!!
God is GOD!!!
THANK YOU JESUS!!
Blessings
Maria
So excited for you!
Prayers & Blessings for your travels home!
Laurel :)
What a wonderful, well-deserved blessing!!! I hope the trip home is smooth sailing for you. :)
Fabu
I have chills of excitement that you will all be together so soon! We will continue to pray for you until you walk into your house as a family of 7...then you may need prayer more than ever!!! hehehehe... I'm so glad things are working out. You are amazing! Fia and Kwame are so blessed...has anyone told them how wonderful their mommy is???? I will for sure when I meet them someday!
Love you,
Karen
We have been praying for you guys and wanted to tell you that we brought our baby boy home from Ghana on Jan 7th and he is such a joy and a blessing. Praise the Lord for His goodness. I really need to update our blog. I will but with an active 9 month old he gets all our time.
Take care Tee
Post a Comment