Saturday, February 7, 2009

We are all home!


We made it home yesterday with no problems!!! The kids were fantastic on the airplanes for all the traveling that they had to in airports for the first time in their lives. All of our flights were on time, the flight attendants were great and the first crew from Ghana to Germany brought my mom and I out some champagne from first class. Kwame slept the whole first leg from right before we took off, through our short stopover in Lagos, Nigeria(we don't get off the plane), all the way until we were outside our gate in Germany waiting for our stroller! That was almost 8 hours and I didn't even have to use any melatonin! They both actually fell asleep right when we arrived at the Accra airport and the man at the luggage checkpoint kept asking why they were sleeping. I think he was a little nervous that we had drugged the children and we were taking them out of their country unwillingly. I woke them up a little for him; I guess that was good enough. The whole process at the Ghana airport after that went really smoothly and the people at the passport checkpoint were so interested in why we would adopt. I showed him pictures of all seven of us in Ghana together and he loved seeing that we brought our family there to meet the kids. He was wonderful! I wouldn't be surprised if he would adopt one day; he seemed so touched by the idea.

When we arrived in Germany, we had about 5 hours there for a layover and it was still early morning so all of us were a bit tired. My mom and I indulged ourselves in ILLY lattes and we were loving that! Nothing like one of the best places in Europe to have coffee from(I have been regretting not getting it since we were there in December).

The second flight was great too, for the most part, but I was more crabby and tired-sorry mom! I think the kids were tired from traveling, a little perplexed in everything and they both want to do everything at the same time as the other. In a lot of ways, they act more like twins than I had imagined. I guess it was how Justus and Greta were with each other too, but I had forgotten and I don't quite know how to distract/change their minds as well as I could with the others. For instance, Fia had to go to the bathroom and then Kwame said he did too. So I was bringing Fia and Kwame decided he would start crying. He doesn't cry much, but when he does, it is a very sad wail that I didn't want the whole plane to hear....I was trying not to lose it here because once he starts crying, it is hard to make him stop unless he gets his way! There is a fine line for me for letting him get his way just because I don't want him to cry on the plane and then not letting him think I am a pushover. So, I just went quick with Fia to make the point(there was already another kids crying!;) so I didn't feel as bad)! I do have to say that there was no more crying over bathrooms, but for the next 6 hours, whenever one had to go the the bathroom, the other did too and it seemed like it was at least every hour! The encouraging thing is that I shouldn't have to spend too much more on diapers! I think that they are almost trained!

When we arrived into Seattle the kids and I went down to get into the customs line that we needed to go into. We were first in line but then they had to go to the bathroom again!!Ha ha-by this time, I went with them because I didn't want a breakdown, but we had to give up our space in line. When we came out, we had to wait in line for our turn, but eventually we had two little ones that became US Citizens!! Pretty cool experience! After getting our bags, going through another checkpoint, putting our bags back onto the conveyor belt to go out to the baggage claim, and riding the tram, we were finally able to look up the escalator to our FAMILY looking at us!!! Ahhh-what a relief!!WE were finally home and together as seven! Besides our family, Grandpa was there, Auntie Ingrid, Kaia, Lola, our Cousin Mat and cousins Claire, Simon, and Penny! It was wonderful to see everyone, and know that we were finally HOME!! Many prayers of thanksgivings were heard yesterday and I thank God for safe travels, our family being together now, and a smooth last couple of days with no problems traveling! I have a post of Thurs. that I will finish later and post after the fact.

The kids were great going in the van and Kwame was just quiet and looking around. Fia was laughing away in the back with whatever her big brother would do. He would just look at her and she would start to laugh-it was pretty cute! We got to the ferry and were one of the last cars allowed on, so it was nice to be our way and not have to wait in line. My parents were also on the same ferry so we went upstairs and were able to experience a first ferry ride together. When we went back in the car, Fia wasn't so sure about car seat, but she did it. I explained that until you are 18, you have to be buckled up in the US! ;) Seriously though, she will probably be in the car seat longer than the other three! As we pulled into our home, they had both fallen asleep, so we woke them up and the kids ran inside to go and show them their rooms that they have been talking about for so long. My dad had brought some balloons to the airport and they became a hit with all the kids and they played with them for an hour as Daron made dinner and I watched and rested on the couch; I could barely keep my eyes open. After dinner (cheeseburgers) and a scoop of ice cream, we got pjs on and they loved playing with Great Grandpa J's marble shoot. It was so fun for us to watch them since all of our kids have loved it; as well as almost every child that comes over. Fia had the best smile as she got her pillow ready with Great Grandma Eleanor's(G.G)blanket she made, as well as her baby doll right there. She loved playing with Ella's bitty baby, and wouldn't hardly let it go. Luckily when Grandma Mary comes, she will get her own to play with since the Grandma's went in together to get one. Before we finished saying prayers, she was out and as I went into the boys room, Kwame was already sleeping! They were so tired and slept until about 4 when Kwame woke up and wanted to come with us and about 15 minutes later Fia did too. Fia just woke up now at 8:15! They both loved scrambled eggs and sausage! I think since we are meat eaters in this family, they will be just fine!

Now that they are awake, I better get going. I have the best husband that had the house cleaned, then he cooked us dinner and this morning breakfast and coffee. We are going to have our devotions now and start living as a family of 7!


18 comments:

Mom to Four said...

So exciting!!!! Congratulations! So excited for you all-hope you all have a wonderful weekend and so much fun being all together. In another few weeks-would love to talk with you.
Praying for you all as you adjust to your new life as 7-
JJ

Johnene and Family said...

And they're good travelers and sleepers, too? So glad you're here! Call us when you get a chance!

Angela said...

Tears of joy and thanksgiving! I am so happy for you guys. :) Sending you lots of love, prayers, and patience as that settling in as a family of 7 becomes reality! You guys are the best...Fia and Kwame are so lucky to have you (as are Justus, Greta, and Ella!). You've been missed! Love, Angela

A. Gillispie said...

This whole post was better than eating chocolate! Oh how we have prayed for these children to FINALLY be home with their loving family. I am so thankful that the process is over for you now, and your life with Fia and Kwame can truly begin!

Chalene said...

Yeah - you are home! I am so excited for you guys! Now the real journey begins with a family of 7! Welcome Home! :)

Chalene

Kirsten said...

can you believe you have FIVE kids?!!! WOW!!!! I am so happy for you! Woo hoo!!! Glad travels went smoothly. Love you ALL!

Kim K. said...

Welcome home...you did a great job blogging while you were in Ghana, I felt like I was almost there with you.I can't wait to catch up with you guys once life gets back to "normal"....maybe sometime in 2014?

Robin Dodd Photography said...

Got your comment on the blog! How sweet. Give them a big KEESE!!(kiss) As Mariama says.. :" I didn't get to have a KEEESSE!! I am SO glad you're back safe and sound with those little snugglers.

Laurel said...

Yea! Excited for all of you!

Laurel :)

Hoepfinger Family said...

Its nice to know your long-distance journey has come to a close and you can begin your new chapter of 7!

tlforsythe said...

Nicole says "Cute Fia, cute Kwame."
The kids are excited to get to play with their new friends!

Anonymous said...

PTL!!! So happy for all of you and again, it brings back such great memories of our guys coming home. We have enjoyed keeping up on the journey and as the journey continues.
The Zander 7

annika said...

Kristin,
THANK YOU for taking up all along on your journey! It was such a gift to be a part of this most amazing time for your family. Annika

Karleen said...

Yeah! Congrats...we will see you soon, maybe at the bus stop. :))

dbredberg said...

It brings tears to my eyes to read this. I am so happy for you to have all of your family at home now. I pray that the Lord blesses each on of you as you continue to live our your lives for Him.
Peace to you all,
Jessica

Amy said...

Hey Kristen! I am SO excited for you and your family. I couldn't stop thinking about you the week you were gone! I can only imagine how amazing you feel having everyone home now. For some reason, I just saw your comment on my blog! We are 'requesting' 2 children under the age of 5 with at lease 1 girl. Did you see our 2 kids????????? It is killing me to not be able to talk with Anita yet about specific children. Our last homestudy mtg is this Saturday and then I'm not sure how long until we get the actual report - I'm hoping just 2-3 weeks is realistic. Let me know about any of the great kids under 5!!!

Heather said...

Kristin, your family looks absolutely beautiful together at last! Welcome home!

Anonymous said...

I am in TEARS. Checking back in to see how it was going and there they are! So moving to know of the trials of this journey and to see you together as a family! I know there will be new trial ahead but what an incredible testimony to the love of God you guys have demonstrated to these little precious children. Praise GOD!!! Who ever would have thought...Daron, a father of 5. What a trip it is to think of him as a kid and see him now. God is awesome!