Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Yum...Groundnut stew!
Today I took Fia and Kwame into the city for my haircut. Yes, there is something wrong with that sentence, but I just wasn't thinking! Anyway...afterwards I took them to a restaurant near Pike Place Market called Pan Africa. It serves mostly Ethiopian dishes I think, but they have a few that are labeled West African. I was so excited that they served some Ghanaian dishes and thought the kids would be excited. Fia kept saying she didn't want Ghana food, but when she ate it, she loved it(except for the onions). We had chicken groundnut stew. This is a common dish in Ghana prepared also with goat. It is a peanut based stew with chicken, onions, yams, carrots, and spices. It was served with rice and delish! I am excited to go back for a couple of their other dishes. Good size portions and good prices. For those of you that live near Seattle or are visiting soon, it also looks like there is another restaurant that just opened near the Key Arena. It is called KwaTays's and I think this could be a great meeting place for all of us adoptive parents in the Pacific Northwest one day! Anyone want to take a field trip?? Let me know if you ever come this way and want to meet up. Or...if you have never had Ghanaian food and are interested in trying it, I always love an excuse to get into the city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
We would LOVE a Seattle field trip. Maybe a morning at the zoo, and lunch at one of the restaurants? Let us know ...
mama of many :)
Hey Laurel-yes, let's do it! I just can't do the zoo-too much money. We do have a membership to the Pt. Defiance zoo for a little while longer though...maybe next year when this one is up. But yes, let's go and eat! Maybe we can do something in Jan. or Feb?
This looks authentically Ghanaian: http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/restaurants/story/521841.html
I have also heard very good things about this place: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/1/1346526/restaurant/Columbia-City/Afrikando-Afrikando-Seattle
- Mat
Wow Mat, those places look great-thanks! I especially think that first one in University Place sounds good. Is this Mat my cousin in law, or another Mat?
I'm betting it's Mat, your cousin in law. He's quick to add an informative link! (:
I actually have a recipe for Groundnut Stew if you'd like it. See you in Minnesota!
Love,
Annika
We are all for meeting up and trying a Ghanaian restuarant! I am sure Lydia will still be homesick for familiar food and really appreciate it!
Hey Kristin,
The restaurant in Tacoma, University Place, is owned by a lady from Ghana and I have heard from friends who were missionaries in Ghana for 10 years that it is great food and authentic.
We would love to meet for some Ghana food! We have a membership to Pacific Science Center and Museum of Flight, other than that we also can't do the zoo right now due to cost, maybe in the summer though.
Lanae
Lanae
Yes, that place in Tacoma is looking the best after reading the review that Mat left. Looks totally authentic and the lady sounds amazing; glad to hear you heard the same thing Lanae. So...should we try this place first? I am thinking lunch on a Wed. in Jan or Feb? How does it look for you all?
Mat-Daron and I want to check one of these out with you. He said that you had already mentioned it. Sounds like a fun familiy adventure!
We're in!
Cousin-in-law Mat
Post a Comment