These sweaters were made by our friend, Hilary. Aren't they gorgeous??
Food: We really haven't had many food issues. The kids pretty much try anything and are actually better eaters than the older girls. The food that we are still trying to incorporate more is fruit and dairy. Other than that, it has been super smooth. I even tried for a couple of days to mush up Kwame's medicine for ringworm in yogurts, smoothies, etc. The only way he would eventually eat it is just by chewing it straight up! It was so funny to finally realize this was how he wanted it.
Hair: It has been great learning more and more about their hair texture. I have tried out so many products that I had heard were good for them, and I think I finally found one that I like called Curly Q's Custard and Carol's Daughter Milkshake. They are both conditioning products that work much better than others I had tried. Only problem is that they will break the bank!! ;) I have had fun braiding Fia's hair and then leaving it out with a headband, scarf, or hair band. My girlfriend, Karen, is making the cutest hairbands ever, so if you are looking for any for your daughter, I will have to point you in the right direction.
Parasites: Just got some of our test results back yesterday and they both do have Giardia. It wasn't surprising in some ways since the water is undrinkable in Ghana, but they really didn't have any signs. I think their little bodies are just so used to living with it, so it will be nice to start them on the meds. on Monday, hopefully. No one has to worry about catching it from the kids unless you take a bath with them; which I won't let happen because we already use enough water in this house for the seven of us with showers, dishes and laundry! So.... hopefully they will be free of this gift from Ghana soon after they get the medicine in them. Later in the month we head over to the city again for a doctors appt. at the UW Adoptive Medical Center. They have doctors that specialize in pediatric care for international adoption; it should be interesting! I think they will get their first shots in the US. Ouch!
Sleeping: This has gotten much better now that the kids are only waking up three times a night instead of six, but we are definitely going to be excited when they sleep all the way through the night. We have finally wised up though and Daron and I are switching nights with who gets up. It has worked well except for one night when I woke Daron up after I heard Kwame and he thought it was supposed to be his night to sleep. He still got up but I could tell he was annoyed. A couple hours later when he got back from playing basketball, I helped him see that I was right (not unusual that I try to do this) and he eventually realized the truth. Then he admitted that he told all the guys at basketball that I made him get up on his turn to sleep! My only payback is the blog... so thanks for reading about his mistake! ;) Hopefully this 'waking up in the middle of the night multiple times' will be a thing of the past soon and I will hardly remember this stage. So...if you wonder why I am having more and more coffee to stay awake through the days, this is why.
Feel free to ask any questions that you have....I can't think of anything else to write about now(well, that's not true, but this is getting very long!)
12 comments:
I'm so glad that things are going well for you!
Blessings,
Laurel :)
They look so cute in their sweaters! Praying for better sleep soon...
thanks for sharing about all the real life stuff. you are a very entertaining writer! (:
love you!
annika
I check your blog on a semi-regular basis!! I love to hear about your day to day struggles and joys. I'm also thankful for your hair product tips! I'll be saving that for future reference!
-Val H.
head band tips-does she have a pattern she is willing to share or is she selling them? Our daughter has super short hair that has grown a lot in the quick passing 3 months she has been home-but we have found with a headband she is less likely to be a called a boy-even when dressed in pink ;) sometimes I wonder about people :)
Glad you are all adjusting fairly well and it is hard to believe it has been a month since we talked while you were in Ghana-so glad you are all under one roof
Oh my GOSH, Kristin! I cracked up when I read that you "helped" Daron see you were right!!! ROFL
It sounds like things are running pretty smoothly with the kids home, but I'm with you. I can't believe they've been home for a month. Amazing!
I edited the blog and linked my friends etsy page where you can buy the headbands if anyone is interested. You can also email her to see what other fabrics she has in case she has new ones.
Hi, I'm so glad I finally found your blog. I've been wanting to see pictures of your kids. They are all so beautiful. It's good to hear that thinks are going well with you all. (This is Jeremiah's wife, by the way.)
Kristen! The kids look so beautiful and happy. I wish I could give them a big kiss!!! I love the headbands. As Mariama is the headband queen I am going to order some! Very cool. Love the sweaters too!! I know the sleep will get better soon.. do they both get up three times a night? That would be really hard for me as I am a person who has to have my sleep or I'm so out of it.. some people(like my husband) can handle the lack of sleep better.. that's why the starbucks thing made me a raving lunatic... 4:30 am!!! it was worth it.. but it was hard.. okay.. I just wrote a novel..hee.hee.
Hi,
You wrote to me on a friend's blog. I made my blog by invitation. If you post your email, I will be glad to invite you to read it.
I appreciate any and all prayers.
BTW, your children are adorable!!!
Blessings to you and your family,
Debbie
Debbie, my email is kristinjag@comcast.net
Thanks!
I love your blog. I didn't know you have only been home a month! How exciting.
It's great that things are going so well!
Kamille
Post a Comment