What else is on my list you ask? Well, I am trying to go from room to room de-cluttering and re-organizing. Now that I have said that on here, I am now accountable to you! So far, I have gone through a HUGE basket of papers in the kitchen, as well as the back-up basket because the first one was so full. I now have only 5 papers in the basket and they are supposed to be there! For most people this might not take that much time, but I am one of those people that has a hard time getting rid of things...I think it might come in handy later. I am sure most of the stuff I will never use again, but lucky for me I did keep some of my favorite clothing items from Ella and Greta that Fia can now use even though I thought we were only going to adopt a boy. I also saved some of my professional suits and now the jackets are in style again...OH OH, and probably my best save are my high school cowboy boots that made a certain cute lady pretty popular last year at the auction(and it wasn't me)! My suspenders haven't come back in style yet, but when they do, I am ready.
Are you a saver or a pitcher? What do you still have that you are glad you didn't throw out? Or, what did you get rid of that you wish you wouldn't have? And don't worry, I won't be on Hoarders anytime soon!\
Okay, I got distracted in this post. I just wanted to let you know that if you come to my house and see Christmas decorations up, don't pity me. Don't think, wow, she can't keep up with her house, she has alot of kids, or she needs help. Don't judge me. Just be impressed with me. Be impressed that I am so ingenious and that I have already decorated for Christmas!
6 comments:
Right there with you! I've already decorated for Christmas,too.
I was going to put away my Christmas Village this week, but we can't find the boxes. The young adult daughter that so helpfully decorated for me ... hid the boxes and moved out. Yep. She's gone, and we can't find the boxes anywhere. Guess we now have new year-round top-of-the-piano decoration.
Um ...
My name is Mama D. and I'm a saver. (Is this a new 12 step program? I probably need one.)
My son just married a Texas cowgirl, so we decorated the wedding reception in Texas cowgirl style. And ... my 14 year old daughter was so glad that Mama pulled her 28 year old cowboy boots out of the closet. They've never even been packed away ... they've been right next to the rest of my shoes for 28 years. Don't even ask how long it's been since they FIT me. After 10 pregnancies, my feet got a little fatter.
I have a couple of boxes of baby clothes in the storeroom ... from my children that are 24, 25, 26. Just waiting for the grand-babies. These clothes are still CUTE. Really! The '80s is BACK ... even in baby clothes.
My youngest turned 9 this week, and hubby was cleaning out the garage when he asked why we still have strollers and highchairs, etc... Remember? The grand-babies are on the way. I just know it! With 3 weddings this year ... we're at least getting closer to grand-babies.
How about all of my bright, cheap jewelry from the '80s. Oh yea! I just pulled out the hot pink earrings last week ... and WORE them with my NEW hot pink shirt. You bet I did! Nope. Can't toss the jewelry.
Speaking of Christmas ... I LOVE the stuffed Santa that sits by our tree every year ... that is at least 45 years old. Back when I was a teenager, I could have so easily "tossed it", thinking it had no value. Oh no. So glad that I was a "saver", even as a teen. I LOVE the 50 year old teddy bear that sits on my bed every day, too. It was my older brother's, but I guess he tossed it at some point and I picked it up.
Okay ... this comment is over the top, too long. But, it sure has brought back some fun memories.
Let me know about the new 12 step program, though. I could probably throw away a few boxes of old papers. Do I still need the electric bill from 1985? Probably not.
Blessings,
Laurel :)
Totally a keeper/saver/pack rat. And it causes me grief. But when one of those obscure things I've got stuffed somewhere comes in handy...it totally reinforces my saving (hoarding?) habits!
My rationale always includes saving money later on if we already have something, rather than re-buying it (especially since so much of our "stuff" was passed on to us for free anyway), as well as keeping tangible memories & history (and what if I have a child who finds it just as meaningful as me to actually SEE things used by grandparents, great-grandparents, me in my pre-kid life, etc.). And then there is consideration of the potential for crafting (really, so great to have the "perfect" piece of fabric or accessory bauble to do a project on the spot), and of course, costumes (yep, any excuse for a costume party/dress-up day - I likely have the equivalent of some people's everyday wardrobe, just in old clothes used exclusively for costumes - and most are quirky or outdated enough that I don't feel they would be better off donated somewhere). I definitely hold onto anything vintage (tree ornaments, jewellery...those are keepsakes, and I use and enjoy them).
Hmm, a specific thing that has come in handy?...trying to think of a good example...certainly hanging on to some old furniture out in the garage has been worthwhile when we have been able to help someone out who needs a chair or some artwork or something, and no money to do it on their own (and we pretty much outfitted my brother's whole apartment when he was away at school for a year). Sometimes an old dish belonging to a grandmother, discovered while sorting through things, has become the "perfect" item to fill a decorative gap...and I've been thankful I didn't buy something meaningless to fill the space.
But...I KNOW that I need to keep de-cluttering. If I plan to have kids on the scene hopefully this year, then the spare bedrooms won't be my extra storage areas anymore. Yikes.
(And by the way - our "live" tree sadly came down yesterday, after a remarkable nearly two months of solid service - just this week became a little too dry. The Christmas stuff was packed away last week...but my snowman stuff is happily on display for another little while - can't take down the "festive" all at once and leave nothing in it's place...). Oh, I suppose the outdoor lights should be unplugged soon - I think they're still pretty in the snow, but we've long outlasted the rest of town at this point. Maybe will keep the little white lights in my greenery arrangements on for the rest of winter after I turn off the red/green/white "main" lights...
haha! love it!
Ha! Thanks for the early morning giggle!
OK, I'm a pitcher, and I must admit that I can't think of anything I have gotten rid of that I regretted....yet. I did keep my leather bomber jacket from high school and I am glad I kept that bc it is warm!
I DO admire the jump start on Christmas! I might try that next year--less stress over the holidays for sure. And for the record, I think this about myself:
-I have a lot of kids
-I can't keep up with my house
Where do those dust balls on hardwood floors COME from? It's like spontaneous generation....
Post a Comment