Monday, January 10, 2011

My Smorgasbord of Life at the Moment

Okay, I need to write a new post. I am just completely overwhelmed though, so I don't know where to begin. I don't want to complain either, because in the grand scheme of things, my family is healthy, we have a house, we have food, I have a loving husband, good friends, etc, etc...but I am just tired! I don't know if it's my age(I am almost 37 you know...), or having a large family(7 is large for me), post Christmas depression(I want a snow day!!!), or just all the stuff that is overflowing on my plate. And honestly, I don't really have anything big on my plate, just a smorgasbord of life. And sometimes, some of those meatballs on that smorgasbord plate are piled on more than I can handle. I guess that's how I feel right now. I like looking at my plate for the most part...I like the lingonberries and the meatballs, I like the korv and the lefse, but on my Swedish/Norwegian smorgasbord plate, there is a bit of pickled herring on it that I don't like, as well as some lutefisk. And they are really stinking it up! I need to get rid of the stuff I don't like, or at least figure out how to make it so I enjoy it better. I know life isn't all about being happy. Life is hard. We have to make choices. I just am tired of the lutefisk right now.

Ahhhhh...now, I feel better! I think just getting it out there, even if it is in a bit of a riddle format with my smorgasbord analogy helps. Sorry for the downer, but it is real life.

5 comments:

Joy said...

What a great analogy. I totally get it, and relate. On the weekend, enjoying a couple of days out of town with husband (late anniversary get-away), I felt a sense of gloom and stress creeping in during the drive home...about nothing in particular. Just not looking forward to the daily routines, commitments, "to do's"...I recently described my usual state as feeling like a student during end of semester - always something else to be done - never feeling on top of anything...none of the tasks horrible, but always occupying space in the mind, and making it difficult to feel at rest and able to keep pace. For me, having to make a phone call or prepare something for the mail results in me feeling like "it never ends" - that sense of endlessness of "stuff" on my plate. Doesn't seem right somehow, does it?

Kristin said...

Thanks for the comment Joy. I HATE making phone calls at this point in my life right now, I am right there with you. I am seriously proud of myself for just making two phone calls. Ha! Well, off to the gym for a bit and I will be able to cross three easy things off the list and hopefully get to some of the bigger things in an hour when the little ones get home(yea right!) Congrats on getting away for the weekend, that is huge!

Charmaine said...

I get it too. I'm TIRED! But feel blessed and worn out at the same time. How is that possible? Hope you can get a break! Charmaine

Laurel said...

Great analogy.

We've got a LOT of ugly stuff on our plate right now; but we are doing our best to focus on the fact that we still have our faith and our family ... even if they are surrounded by ugly, rotten, stinkin' stuff.

Be BLESSED!

Laurel

Richardsons said...

I'm glad I am not the only one that feels like that sometimes. Thanks for being transparent enough to post it. If I can take a shower and put on an outfit I wouldn't be embarrased to be seen wearing in public, I usually feel like I've accomplished something. HA HA HA--neither thing happened today though :) There is always tomorrow...