Thursday, March 25, 2010

Crossing My Fingers For a Coffee date with Mrs. Chapman

Here is another little thing that I am thankful for:

This week, when my mom was working at Possum's Boutique, she was chatting it up with one of the customers. The lady said she was visiting from Tennessee and as they got talking more she said that she adopted her youngest three girls from China, but her youngest daughter had passed away recently. It was then that my mom thought this story sounded familar and asked her what her last name was; she introduced herself as Mary Beth Chapman(aka-Mrs. Steven Curtis Chapman)! If you don't know who they are-google them. They are an amazing family, with amazing talent, that unfortunately has had to endure one of our worst fears as parents. They seriously are amazing though. His song, "I Will be Here" honestly meant SO much to me in the high school years and it was constanty playing in my room. I even remember leading a group devotion at camp around that song. I have listened to his music since I was a teenager, but more recently, followed them for what they do in the world of international adoptions, and we even applied for a grant-and GOT ONE for part of Fia and Kwame's adoption.

Side note: The Chapman's have a organization called Show Hope, formerly Shaohannah's Hope,(I have it in my sidebar) that gives out grants for international adoption.

My mom was able to share with her that we adopted our youngest two from Ghana and that their organization actually gave us a grant! I think that is so cool that she was able to share that with her and show her pictures of two children that they really did help bring home to us. I got chills. I am so thankful for them, as well as Ibsen (another amazing organization in WA), and some family members that really surprised us and helped us along the way to bring home their new family. The story really could stop here and that would be amazing enough for me, but it didn't stop.

They kept talking and my mom said it was too bad I wasn't there with the kids so that we could meet her. Mary Beth said that she would love to meet us if the timing worked out, so she gave my mom her number -SERIOUSLY! What if my mom was a stalker? Just teasing mom. She said that it might work to meet later in the week too because then her husband might be in town and we could meet up with both of them. HA! I am hoping, but I am also trying to be realistic. It is now Thursday and we still haven't heard from her. I am crossing my fingers though, I would love to meet them and thank them in person. If not, it is still a really cool thing that my mom got to meet them and share what a difference they have helped make in our lives!

6 comments:

Hall Crowder said...

That is so cool. Hope you do get to meet and talk!
Courtney

Kelly said...

WOW-
Hope it works out because she would be just as lucky to meet you guys as you would be to met them!

I did see him last year when he did that concert w/ MWS..It was amazing he could share that hard part of life...

SCC is the only Christian artist Katie really likes, so she will be impressed!

Becca Groves said...

hmmm...I just tried to leave a comment, but then I think I lost it. I feel very much like Grandma Bredberg at the moment. I'll try again, but if the first comment appears, sorry to be so redundant.

I love this story. I love that the story really started in high school and then as a camp counselor through his music, then through their ministry and now, maybe in person.

I actually met Steven Curtis Chapman one time while at a church with Sara and Troy on a Sunday morning in Nashville. They introduced him as their friend, Steve, and I DIDN'T MAKE THE CONNECTION!!! Ha! It wasn't until we were in the car that they told me and I screamed. You'd think I'd have recognized him...but no.

I'll be crossing my fingers too. Keep us posted on this one.
Joyfully,
Becca

Deborah said...

Sounds like the Jags are so happy and doing so well! That is wonderful. I love how Christ makes our lives so much a part of other lives...and we never even know it. Thank you for all the prayers for our two little ones.

Kristin said...

I have some fun news and pictures to share when I get a second today or tomorrow!!

Mom to Four said...

How fun!!