Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Grade School Apology

Wow. I am truly blown away right now. I know that facebook is usually not about anything deep, but today I was so surprised to get an email from an acquaintance from grade school. What is even cooler, is that this wasn't the first one of this type. I received another one like this a few months back. What kind of email was it? An apology.

To give you all a little background about me you may or may not know, I lost my hair when I was in kindergarten and we were living in Seattle area. I didn't get it back fully until around the 4th grade. When I say 'lost my hair', I mean all of it. Everywhere( ie.- no hair on my arms, legs, eyebrows....)! It stemmed from an auto-immune disease that I got called Alopeica and it just means 'hair loss'. Most people who have Alopecia, don't ever get their hair back, so that was my reality. Honestly though, for me and my family, despite the diagnosis, we all hoped and prayed and believed it would be different.

Soon after I lost my hair, we moved back to the Chicago suburbs and we ended up living there for over 20 years. We moved into a community that we had already lived in a couple years back and our church family was definitely what I attribute, along with my family, my confidence, hope, self-worth and that God didn't 'mess up' with me(the story of how I have my hair now will be for another day).

You see, when you move into a new school during 1st grade with no hair, no eyebrows, and wearing a Snoopy baseball hat, you aren't the 'cool new girl!' I was always jealous of those ones in the years to come; they seemed to have it so easy! Ha! Anyway...I remember being teased, having kids either knock my hat off purposely, or stealing it until the recess aides would help. I did find friends in a couple girls, but usually in boys(they thought I was pretty good at kickball, chase, and riding our dirt bikes), so they would stick up for me when they were around. But of course, I got teased and so did they for playing together with the opposite gender. I laugh now, but I remember getting some Valentine's cards from my boy 'friends'in my mailbox that said, "I love you,"and it was obvious they weren't from them. Of course, the ones that wrote them were right there and laughing-gosh, kids sure get a kick out of being mean! Ugh...one of the worst cases though(because an adult did it) was a substitute teacher that would NOT let up about me taking my hat off since kids weren't allowed to wear hats in school. I remember some kids stuck up for me and others didn't and it eventually came down to the teacher sending me down to the Principal's office since I wouldn't take it off! Needless to say, the principal was definitely behind me, but it was humiliating to me as I was a straight and narrow kid(for the most part-at THAT age)!

This gets me back to the two facebook messages I have received from two classmates during those years. The first one said that he remembered first meeting me and drawing attention to the fact that I was wearing a hat and telling me that I couldn't wear it in school. I have no recollection of that incident, but he remembered it in detail, down to what hat I was wearing! He said he carried it with him throughout high school, and every time he passed me in the halls, he felt bad about not apologizing for drawing attention to me that day. Wow, I was so impressed with him! Isn't it crazy how long we carry things if we push them aside and not deal with them? I was so thankful that he did finally say something and was able to find out that I either don't remember it or it wasn't that big of a deal. I just thought it took a lot of guts!

Today, I got another email apologizing for being a bully to me and others in grade school (again, I remember incidents, but not the people involved, which I think is good!). He said he remembers teasing me and trying to embarrass me. He wanted to apologize after all these years, but didn't want to sound weird. Weird? I was so humbled! I wrote back that I honestly don't remember him as being mean to me, just a 'tough guy' on the outside, but could tell that he was a teddy bear on the inside(I actually didn't say teddy bear for fear of embarrassing him, but said I could tell he was different on the inside-ha!)

How cool is that though? I was so happy to get these emails. I do remember the hurt, but not the people, and it felt good to have the apologies. What was even better was find out that even those that are considered the 'bullies' chose a different path as an adult. These are also good lessons for my kids to learn and I am definitely going to share them. I am honestly thankful that I lost my hair when I was younger for a variety of reasons, but in regards to this discussion, it has given me a heart to seek out those who are outcast and also look deep into the hearts of the bullies. And the piece of asking for forgiveness...that is hard, but it is healing for both parties!

P.S. My scanner is on the fritz, but when it is up again, I will post a picture of my grade school years in case you are curious.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

I just found your blog and I have to say that this is a wonderful post!

I have been on both sides of this. I was teased a lot in school up to High School. However, I remember one case when I was the bully (I think it was because I was trying to deflect the attention from myself). I felt horrible about it for years, even though I didn't participate in the behavior for very long and the girl and I were later friendly acquaintances.

I recently found her on Facebook and I have to say that the apology was long overdue. I don't know how she felt about it--it's hard to tell in FB messages--but I hope that it was taken as well as you took your apologies.

annika said...

Thanks for sharing this post. Apologies make all the difference!
(And I'm waiting in suspense to hear how/when your hair grew back).
Love you, cousin!
Annika

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing that Kristin. I really appreciated it and am glad that those grown up kids tried to make things as right as they could. That is a beautiful thing. I can only imagine how difficult that must have been for you and I'm glad you have had such a loving reaction to these people. I'm sure that blessed them tremendously to have their apology welcomed. :)

Much Love,
Fabu

Kerry said...

Kristin - this is quite possibly one of the nicest stories I've heard about facebook. What a fantastic encouragement for all of us...those who've maybe been unkind and those on the receiving end. Perhaps we won't get the Facebook apology like you did, but just knowing that perhaps someone out there is sorry for something they did is heartening. maybe the world isn't so bad after all.... :)

Heather said...

Thanks so much for putting yourself out there and showing that. I'm so glad that these two people have stepped up and done the right thing. You're a beautiful woman with a beautiful spirt.

Laurel said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing! Yes ... it is amazing how long we can keep things "deep down" that we know were wrong. And, it is just as wonderful how much an apology can mean ... even many years later.

:) :) :)

Robin Dodd Photography said...

Kristin,

I agree with Kerry.. it's so refreshing to read that..I wonder if the FACEBOOK TEAM knew that when they created Facebook, they would be reconnecting people on such amazing levels..

XOXO,
R

Grateful said...

Thanks for sharing. It is so freeing to apologize, even if it is years later. It is more-so to forgive. Thank you for a beautiful story.
:) Tami