Today we got up early to drive up to Vancouver for the day to check out all the Olympic hubbub. On our way to the ferry, while still in town, we were hit by a car that was coming at us from the other direction. We were both going probably 40-50mph(I actually have no idea-just guessing). The car in front of us tried to swerve first, but got nicked and spun into the ditch(thankfully he is going to be okay, too). Then we realized that the car was coming straight at us still when only a few feet away and there was no where to go with a guardrail on our passenger side. The impact all went into the front of the car and the driver's door. The dash and door got pushed in and down and it is amazing that Daron was able move his legs and crawl out the back. That moment before the hit was the worst feeling and during it I pleaded for us to be okay. As soon as the airbags went out and deflated(so fast that I don't even remember it), I turned to Daron and then to the kids after I heard him talk. Honestly, the turn back to the kids was the scariest thing I have ever done-but, they were ALL okay! Wow-tears of joy, fear, shock were unstoppable.
I am so thankful for our safety. I am so thankful for all the people who were there right away to help get the kids out and help 'think' for me. I am so thankful that we were still close to town and the rescue teams were quick. I am so thankful that we could all shiver outside and WALK to a warm car. I am so thankful for all my family and friends that have offered to help(and to those that already have)!
I am NOT thankful for now losing our Swagger Wagon(Toyota Sienna)! Man, it was nice to have two cars for two days! Oh well, maybe we are meant to be a one car family. Either way, we will now wait to see about our insurance on Monday and HOPE that Toyota's really do hold their value so we can get close to what a new one costs. One thing is for sure, the airbags, seat belts, and body of the car really did do wonders to keep us safe (of course I am SO thankful for God's provision in it all too), so I definitely do not want to skimp on safety with our next car. Another Sienna is sounding good-and with the kids being so scared of this happening again, I think I TRUST them
But all in all, our car, my homemade mug, my favorite sunglasses, are NOT important. Sure, it's a bummer, but NOTHING compared to losing a family member or being critically injured! We are so grateful.
We did all go to the hospital to get checked out. Four of us needed x-rays, but they all turned out great. That was another miracle. For the next few days I know we will all be sore and our bruises will become even more colorful and beautiful. Hopefully, we will be back to normal real quick!
Lastly, sorry to close friends and family reading about this for the first time on here(or on facebook). I just didn't feel like calling everyone and talking too much about it. It will get easier, it was just so overwhelming today.
Below are some pics to see of the van if you are interested in stuff like that. Kwame was sitting directly behind Daron and he is actually feeling the best of anyone....except for his tongue, which he bit. ;)
19 comments:
Praise God you are all okay. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.
Praise God you are all okay! How scary. I was so upset just to read this as the thought of anything happening to any of you is just so upsetting. God was with you as an accident like this could have been so much worse. Praising God today that the Jags are okay!
My gosh! I'm so glad you are all ok. I thought maybe all the guardian angels were in Vancouver watching over the athletes, but glad He had a few reserved to help you all today. So scary, but relieved you are all ok!
I'm so glad you are all ok!
I had a pretty terrible crash a few years ago--with Chloe and two of her friends in the car. We were all ok, but it scares me to death thinking what might have been.
So thankful you are all safe....
~Carrie
Praise the Lord. We've been praying for you and thinking of you all day long. These pictures are so scary...I can't imagine that moment of checking to see if each person was okay... It is amazing Daron could get his legs out. we love you guys and will continue to keep your family in our prayers.
Wow! How scary! Praising Jesus that you are all okay.
I have a blog post, ready to post in a couple of days, about how the Lord protected our family when we were hit by a semi-truck going about 60. So, I do know how SCARY it is when you turn around to see if your children are all okay. Oh my! So many memories.
Want you to know ... even though you were all checked out today, and you are feeling "okay" ... you may still have some SERIOUS neck and back injuries. These can take 2 or 3 days to really become obvious. You are all running on your rush of adrenaline today.
Don't want to scare you ... but my 8 children and I had 105 doctor's appointments in the first 5 weeks after our accident (10 years ago). 5 of us had serious neck injuries ... 3 of us have permanently reversed curves in our necks. So. Not. Fun.
PRAYING for you all tonight ... and the next few days. Please call if you have ANY questions about how to deal with ... injuries ... attorneys ... stress of the accident ...
Oh my! So sorry for all of you. So thankful that the LORD protected you.
Can't wait until we have our own house on our little island ... so that you all can come visit.
Laurel & the gang :)
Thank you God.
Hugs to all of you Jags!!!
Wow - that's so scary! I'm so glad you all are OK. Praise GOd!
I am so glad your darling family is safe.
Kristin....
Thank God! Give everyone a GIANT kiss for me. I know the babies were so scared.. and you guys too.. I can't imagine.
LOVE TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
So glad everyone is ok so far...hopefully that soreness does just fade away quickly. It sure is a bizarre thing, being in an accident. My beloved Civic was totalled in a rear-ending a couple of years ago - a few months of physio was a bit of a drag, but now that I provide rehab services to folks who have been in accidents, I am thankful that is all we went through - hoping the same for all of you.
So glad everyone is ok so far...hopefully that soreness does just fade away quickly. It sure is a bizarre thing, being in an accident. My beloved Civic was totalled in a rear-ending a couple of years ago - a few months of physio was a bit of a drag, but now that I provide rehab services to folks who have been in accidents, I am thankful that is all we went through - hoping the same for all of you.
I do praise the LORD that you are all OK! I am so sorry for this! How scary it must have been!!
Praying that the next few days go well.
I am so glad you guys are all okay. What a terrifying day. I am glad that we drive a Sienna too! It makes me feel better knowing that it can withstand something like that...with God's help too. :)
Brooke
Oh my goodness! I am so thankful that you are all okay! How very scary. I'll be saying a prayer of thanksgiving tonight, along with a prayer for your healing. Ouch!
Anita
K-
Is there anything a far flung relative to do to help?
Hopped over from Laurel's post...
I own a Toyota as well, and love it. If your insurance DOES decrease the value of your Sienna below what it would have been before the recall stuff, I'd say contact Toyota. Include a link to your post where you RAVE about the Sienna and how well it stood up to the impact. See if they can help you out with a deal on a new Sienna. They might appreciate someone saying nice things about their vehicles right now :) Can't hurt to try!
Glad you are all doing okay!
Praise God that you are all ok! Sorry about your car, but thank God no one was hurt.
thank you all for your notes and prayers! We have definitely felt them as we have been healing and getting through this week. Everyone is really doing SO well and besides some minor aches and pains, it will all be correctable. Thank you thank you for lifting us up in your words-it means the world for us to read them from you all!
Post a Comment