Back when Daron and I were dating, we talked about how someday we would like to adopt. At the time we were thinking domestically, but then over the years our heartstrings were pulled by all of the orphans that were affected by HIV over in Africa. Since then, we have talked and prayed about adopting an orphan that was affected by HIV, but living without it. When we started getting into the adoption process last year, I was, and still am, so ignorant and uneducated on how far medication has come for those with HIV. I didn't realize that those with HIV could go on to live a "normal" life without ever even developing AIDS. I didn't even know you could adopt an HIV+ child, but I was wrong. It is amazing how far the medical world has come.
Through the blogging and adoption world, I have learned a lot about this much more manageable disease, than I ever realized. One blogger has encouraged everyone who reads her blog to "Tell Two" people about HIV. Please read Erin's blog. She is the HIV coordinator for AAI and an amazing mom to 11 kids! Another great blog to educate ourselves on HIV is From HIV to Home. I hope you can take a few minutes to read and help erase some of the stigma that has been attached to HIV in the past and make it a memory!
2 comments:
Hi Kristin-
Teri here from aaighana group. I feel the same way about the children with HIV. After this adoption, we are going to pray and pray lots about bringing an HIV child home with us. I hope you don't mind, I linked your blog onto mine.
Teri
Hi Jag family,thank you for the gift
We all love it!We miss you!
Love,
Katie
Lizzie and Emily
Post a Comment