Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!


This is my double notfat extra hot peppermint latte that my husband made for me this morning! I loved it! He is the best valentine I could ask for! He knows that the way to my heart nowadays is through lattes. Daron is very observant and treats me to really special little and sometimes big, surprises. Luckily, he doesn't save them for one day a year and we don't usually make such a big deal about Feb. 14th. He hasn't always been this way though, so for others that don't always show it, there is hope!
Our first Valentine's Day we had just started dating, so we were still lovey dovey as a freshman and junior in college. The second valentine was the most unforgiveable unforgettable year still! He decided the night before that he thought we should take a break from one another, ie:break up. (I still believe he didn't have a present for me and that was the real reason). Anyway, I was devastated and left the campus to go and stay at my parents house for a night and before I left, he dropped off a book for me called, "Before the Ring". Yes, it was a premarital book. I guess he was having cold feet and really second guessing if I was the one he wanted to spend his life with. When I got up to my parents, it was just my dad(no offense). My mom was actually in the hospital getting a hysterectomy (sorry if that is TMI), so I didn't get to cry with my mom since I didn't want to worry her in the hospital that I was upset (she really liked Daron too). The good thing about this is that I got to hang with my dad and received some great words of wisdom from him in a letter to me that I still look to and pass on to others. My dad is so wise! (but this will go to his head if he reads this, right Dad?) Anyway, Daron and I got back together the next day, but only after I was able to put him through some fun not-so-nice agony.
Two years ago was such a memorable fun surprise! Two days before the V-day weekend, he asked the kids and I what he should do for me for Feb. 14th. They through out "take her dancing, take her on a trip, take her someplace warm, ....etc" He said, "okay!" What?!! He told me to get ready and that he was taking me away for the weekend to someplace romantic, fun, warm (not warm enough for a swimsuit though), and an airplane ride away! I am glad he threw in the swimsuit phrase though because I had already started thinking....Hawaii! (Sorry, it is a problem of mine to think grandeous first!) The surprise was a trip to Santa Barbara to stay with some friends for a night and then go to the wine country!! It was a wonderful time. Our friends found us a convertible to drive up and then we stayed at the nicest bed and breakfast-very romantic! It was a very special trip- I love how Daron surprised me with three things that I love: traveling with him, time with our close friends, and wine!
This year we are going over to my parents and we are going to celebrate together with some crab! Yum! We were going to have a romantic dinner after the kiddos went to bed, but "crab" called and we thought we would much rather share our love with family! Yes, we can be bought!
Happy Valentine's Day!!!

5 comments:

jennyonthespot said...

What a fun post - I love reading about other's history... When you wrote about the break-up, it reminded me of Paul's and mine, but it lasted a week and my dad made me a gorgeous wood sewing box - that I still have today... Anyway... you didn't mention any of the stuff your dad put in that letter...

Lindahl News 2 said...

When crab calls you gotta answer. Did you enjoy yourselves?

Kirsten said...

Your friends in Santa Barbara remember that trip fondly!! What a great time we had tasting vino and having dinner at Firestone Brewery! We love you and wish we could make that an annual visit :-)
BTW, how nice of Daron to make you that cute latte...it's the little things that count! My Valentine's gift was sweet but I had to clean up it's poop in the house 3 times yesterday...don't get too jealous :-)
Love Kir

Amber said...

It's so funny all the twists and turns our romances take before marriage. We broke up several times before getting engaged, and it's nice to know we're in good company!

T said...

So cute Kristin. This was me and Erik's 10th Valentine's together, so I got him 10 bottles of wine :)