Sunday, September 9, 2007

Blessed

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and something didn't feel right. I then noticed that there seemed to be an orange glow outside through the blinds. I got out of bed to look out our window and the house diagonally in back of us was up in flames! I have never seen anything like it, the flames were so high over the roof line. I woke Daron up and said, "The house was on fire!" Then I had to let him know after he jumped 5 ft. over to the window that I didn't mean our house, but the house outside. Still scary. The firetrucks weren't there yet and the whole roof was up in flames and one whole side of the house. By the time it was put out, the whole home was damaged. I still can't get that thought out of my head. Daron went over to the scene to see if he could help and the two people that lived in there got out safely and it looks like it was an electrical fire that must have started while they were sleeping; we will have to see. It really put things into perspective though and got me thinking about the fire safety we needed to go over with our kids. How quickly this house went up in flames and was unsalvageable within minutes. The sheriff came knocking on our door to make sure we were awake and ready to evacuate if the fire spread from the wind or trees. I really don't see, but by the grace of God, how none of the other homes were touched as close as we all are and how windy it was yesterday. It took me a while before I could go back to sleep around 5am after I triple-checked on our children and made sure the fire was out. I am so thankful that no one got hurt! Please keep the two young guys that lived there in your prayers.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Wow...how scary!!!! So glad you guys are OK! You must be exhausted!