From Minnesota, we drove down to Libertyville. I first moved to Libertyville when I was around 5 yrs. old. At this time, a new Covenant Church was starting and our family got to be a part of it from the beginning. It was just about 10 people and it began with a small group, just as our church now-Alive Covenant Church, so it was fun to show the kids how my family was a part of this, and I thought that our kids story with church kind of parallels mine in some ways. My church experience was (for the most part) great. We had growing pains and such, but it(the people) helped shape me into who I am today. So, it was really special to bring the kids to church on Sunday and also spend time with some of our Libertyville church family the night before! Thanks to Dave and Darilyn for hosting our gigantic family, having a firepit with s'mores, and making us feel welcome. It was also special to my dear high school friend, Stacey(I am so thankful for you!) and 'Grandma Jill' there so the kids could get to know them more too. Jill babysit our family at times when my parents were out of town and we spent a lot of time with her, but for some reason (mostly because she was so awesome and nurturing to us), we started calling her Grandma Jill (which has always been funny b/c she is only like 13 years older than me).
Sunday after church we hit Portillos for lunch-yum!! I was having a hard time deciding between that and Max's Dawg House, but the decision got easier since the Dawg House was closed-major bummer!!
After lunch, we took the kids on a bit of a tour of the three homes I grew up in there, as well as my Elementary, Junior High, and High School. They weren't as intrigued as me-ha!-but it was still fun. I lived in 5 houses and one apartment, so when my family talks about the homes, we have different names for them. The first house we only lived in for a year before moving back to Seattle for a year. We called it the Sedgwick house(street name) and we lived here when my little brother, Erik, was born. I also remember beautiful pink roses in the garden here, a good neighbor friend Michelle, a HUGE snowstorm that year, and all around good memories.
This is the house we call the 829(street number) house. This was a home in a new subdivision and it was on a cul-de-sac. I LOVED growing up here. Across the street from us was a pond that we used paddle boats on in the summer and ice-skated on during the winter. There were at least 12 homes on the street and most of them had kids, so there were children galore!!! Most summer nights I remember fondly playing kick the can, ghost in the graveyard, and riding our bikes around. We lived here from the middle of first grade (I think) until my freshman year in high school(again, I think, my sister can correct me-she has the better memory!)
This was our third home in Libertyville that my parents built when I was just starting high school. This was our 1219 house. It was a light yellow though when we lived there and my bedroom was the top left window. I thought it was so cool. This house was right on a pond, so again we got to ice skate and had our own paddle boat. This was a really comfortable and inviting home. My parents hosted many get togethers after church at our home, as well as lots of graduation parties. I loved this house. Some favorite memories were family events when all our Rockford family would come and sleep over. Or when I had a graduation party, but had to leave it early to go to a Bulls championship game. This was also the home that my parents lived in when I got married. The year leading up to it I was doing my student teaching at a Libertyville school so I lived at home and got stuff ready for my wedding too. Such great memories....except when everyone left me at my house to go to the wedding!! Hello??? Who has the bride???!!! I called my dad and luckily he came back for me! ;)
After Libertyville, the Jag 7 drove an hour up to Lake Geneva, WI where I spent 8 summers working at Covenant Harbor during high school and college. We also went to family camp there growing up and I went there numerous summers for a week of camp up til high school. When I was in 8th grade, I was baptized in the lake and then on July 18, 1995 I got engaged to Daron on the waterfront one morning. Needless to say, it was nostalgic and gave me some serious warm fuzzies during our afternoon there!
Daron asked me to marry him when I was sitting up on the lifeguard stand, doing devotions together one morning. It was one just like this one. What was kind of fun about this picture is that the lifeguard, who is now the waterfront director, was our flower girl when she was just 6! Not anymore, she is now going into her senior year at North Park University. I am so proud of you Kira-and I feel old! ;)
I had to take a pic of some of the kids in front of the boat house. It was one of my favorite spots to see/be at camp.
Of course we made our kids pose for pictures on the dock we got engaged on. Unfortunately, it was a little sunny and I was the only one with glasses on, so they weren't too happy with us. Ha!
On July 18, it will be 15 years since we got engaged here!

After camp, we headed to Rockford to go see my family! We were lucky, because on a quick pit stop, we got to meet my friend Heather and Theo's son, Bennett. He was such a doll and we were all fighting over who got to hold him. Heather and I have known each other almost my whole life and have grown up together, gone to and worked at Covenant Harbor together and then attended North Park University and did the Swedish exchange program together. She also played a big part in who I am today, so it was amazing to meet their little one.
Two more weeks until I get to see her again when she comes out our way! Sorry, no pics of Heather & Theo this time, just their adorable little guy!
Our time with my grandma was wonderful! We got to go and visit for a couple days with her and all my Rockford family. We missed a couple of my favorite people (love you!), but those that we saw made our time there so special. Thanks also to my Aunt Joyce & Uncle Dan for being fantastic hosts; and even babysitting for us one night so we could go to the movies. We actually happened to go the night that Twilight was opening a few hours from our start time and it was CRAZY!! When we got out of our movie it seriously seemed as though we were going up against a crowd that was running with the bulls to claim their seats for the movie. It was FUNNY!



We even had cousins from outside of Chicago and Madison come up to play with us-thank you!! I LOVE my cousins, so any chance I can see them and their kids is a special treat. Our families really grew up together for much of our lives, so it totally warms my heart to now see our kids play together.
Another special treat was meeting my cousin Tyler's fiance that just came back from Romania with him. She is so beautiful inside and out and I can't wait to get to know her better. Honestly, any woman that he FINALLY decided to date, must be amazing, because that is what we think of him! Love you Tyler and I am so sorry we can't be at the wedding.

Wow! Look who's as tall as G.G!
3 comments:
Wow - what a special trip for your whole family! Fun to hear about and 'see' your engagement spot! 15 years!
So bummed we couldn't make it work to see you.
Love you!
Annika
Sounds like an amazing trip! You are BLESSED to have such a loving extended family, even if they do live across the country.
Be BLESSED!
Laurel :)
Ahh, those were some great houses! I remember I was bribed by mom with a gameboy to take another room so you girls could have the two biggest rooms!
Post a Comment